Wednesday, July 8, 2009

packing vs. goodwill pile

Unfortunately packing stuff is winning over the items entering the Goodwill pile. I felt as though I packed all day yesterday and yet I only turned out about four boxes. I have no idea how that is possible except that I had to take out the recycling (mainly paper/cardboard) a couple times... so maybe recycling wins this contest. That is a good thing because it still means less to pack.

The positives of getting ready for this move include finding my mouth guard (I clench, not grind, my teeth at night), throwing out unnecessary things, and utilizing my organizational sense. Yesterday my husband went through about fifteen boxes of computer parts. When I returned home I was happy to find that he did not need any of them, unhappy to realize that it meant a trip to the dump and more breaking down cardboard. I think this says something about his computer geekiness (which I love him for - although his playing computer games is another story).

For today I plan to tackle the scary basement storage. We currently live in a 6-unit apartment building with shared coin laundry. We have two bedrooms, the second is very small and is used to house the computers and ferrets (the computers being left on help warm up the ferrets during the winter), and a scary basement storage space similar to a walk-in closet. I think it is scary because it smells like mold and there are always cobwebs. I made Dave (husband) remove a spider egg sack from the ferret's travel carrier one time. The creature I really don't want to see down there is the centipede. I haven't come across one yet, but they are definitely my least favorite. I have a routine of using a flashlight and several stomps on the ground to scare things like that away upon entering the space. Whenever possible I try to pawn any basement storage dealings off on Dave. Hopefully I won't see anything too traumatic, the ferrets don't console me very well when things go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment