Monday, December 14, 2009

more cooking mishaps

Staying motivated when it's cold and dark is difficult. I've been using cooking as therapy for the sluggishness. Cooking desserts is motivating to me because I have an enormous sweet tooth - I'm still not super motivated about cooking dinner. Tonight I decided to start some creme brulee. I have to let it cool for 3 to 4 hours so we probably won't enjoy it until tomorrow.
I found that I have a bad habit of looking right into the oven upon opening the door (we don't have a window on our oven). Usually I am just greeted by a blast of warm air, but since the creme brulee has to sit in a warm bath (pans half full of water with the ramekins inside) there was a lot of steam this time. As I stuck my face close to take a look I experienced two thing immediately: burning pain on my lips, and my eyelashes curling back. I quickly stepped back recalling overhearing a conversation about steam burns being worse than other burns and also realizing that I wasn't really hurt. I'm not sure if my actual eyelashes were reacting to the steam and heat or if it was the mascara melting and reforming, but all is well and from now on I will try to remember to step back when I open the oven door.
Now that my it's starting to wear off I better get to dishes before my motivation is completely gone.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm...you should email me your recipe for creme brulee. It sounds yummy. And I'm the same way - I much prefer making deserts to dinner.

    ReplyDelete