Monday, October 11, 2010

Peter!

I will write a real (more formal) post, but for now I just wanted to write about the first major mishap of the day.

I should start out by announcing that I gave birth to Peter Frederic on October 4th at 11:41pm. He was 8lb 0.6oz and 21 inches long. We (of course) think he's perfect. Everyone is doing well, tired, but very well. Dave still gets another week off of work which is great.

I am nursing Peter and have found that I leak a decent amount while feeding so I figured I might as well start saving some of that milk and got out one of the storage containers. After 5 hours of on and off feedings I almost had a full ounce (I know it doesn't sound like much but it took a while to collect and was fairly awkward to do) and was about to put it in the freezer when Peter suddenly jerked and I dumped the whole thing all over the bed (which I had washed the sheets the day before). That was bad enough but then a familiar warm flow made it's way out of the top of his diaper, over my belly onto the bed while he simultaneously spit up on the other side of my belly and the bed. Oh the joys! I was able to laugh about it though because really it was funny and I was sort of just waiting to see if he would have a diaper blow out to finish the job but no such luck.

Even though it's work I really enjoy spending time with Peter so it doesn't feel like work (other than when I'm unsuccessful at burping and he's screaming his head off... but really that's the only real frustration so far).

1 comment:

  1. Oof! That is great that you are able to laugh about it! At this point, 1 oz of milk is a good amount! I remember when I first had James and was pumping, and I would get just enough to cover the bottom of the collection bottle each time. It was very frustrating. So to see it spilled...I still get upset about wasted milk, and we definitely don't have any supply issues now!
    The gas/burping is so hard. I hope it gets easier for you! I'm glad you are enjoying these first days. I reminice once in a while about when James was so tiny...it seems like so long ago!

    ReplyDelete