Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Grandma (& baby stuff)

Peter has been pretty great. I love his eyelashes, I swear they keep growing. He's started to have a major awake time in the morning and again in the afternoon and he has been feeding so much better at night. This means that instead of a few swallows of milk and conking out only to wake 20 minutes later he is actually taking in a full meal and sleeping 2-4 hours afterward.

I've slowly been getting the hang of getting things done mixed with napping. By getting things done I include tiny things such as getting the mail and taking a shower, but occasionally I get something else in like laundry or dishes. I still haven't cooked any serious meals (fried eggs isn't too serious).

I'm trying to work on tummy time with Peter, he likes it for a few minutes and then it becomes hard work.

Dave went back to school on Tuesday. He had pep band afterward too but at least it's a very short week for him, MEA is on Thursday and Friday so it's only a two day week for him.

I have brought Peter out 3 times now, twice to the clinic and then to my workplace (to see people and to get a breast pump), and also to Target. I didn't think a lot of it, but after reading some things online I'm starting to feel a little guilty that I could be exposing him to germs that he can't handle yet. No sickness yet, but maybe I'll hold off a little before we go out again. We also make the short trip to the mailbox and back so he's not being totally sheltered.

One thing I haven't addressed is that my grandmother passed away the morning after Peter was born (October 5th). I was so happy about Peter that it was difficult to reconcile my feelings... I will miss my grandma but mostly I feel remorse for my grandpa. They started dating when they were still young high schoolers and went to 3 or 4 proms together (they were a year apart), basically they have been together for the vast majority of their lives and it will be a difficult transition. Her death was not a huge shock because her health was failing and her memory was also getting worse, a result of several strokes. She was an extremely nice person and was constantly giving out compliments. Always warm and welcoming, she will be missed by everyone. My thoughts and prayers are with my grandpa.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Jess, that is very sad. Nice that she knew that she had a new Great Grandson before she passed, though. I'll say a prayer for your family; especially your grandpa.
    We took James out a lot when he was pretty young - to Target or whatever. He was probably 2 weeks old. I think in breastfed babies, as long as people aren't touching him a lot (especially if they aren't washing their hands), it's not as big of a deal; he's getting a lot of his immunities straight from you. Basically, what I'm saying is do what you feel comfortable with, and don't feel guilty!
    I'm glad he's eating so much better! Those few hours at a time really make a difference when you aren't used to them. And making it out to get the mail is great. I never realized how difficult it can be to get ANYTHING done with a baby around. It sounds like you are doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete