Monday, January 3, 2011

First day back

I had my first day back at work since Peter was born. It went well. I need to get up a little earlier since everything takes me forever even though my outfit, lunch, pump, Peter's bag, and Peter's bottles were all ready. I had assumed that he would sleep in, but he just snoozed for the majority of my semi-short shower and from then on I had to check on him and keep him from sliding out of his chair (he was in a sleep bag and couldn't really be buckled in). I also changed him into a real outfit for daycare and in the future may opt to leave him in a sleeper (with legs, so he can be strapped into the car seat).

I had typed a short (3 paragraph, half page, size 14 font) note about his sleeping, eating, and gooey eye and brought a photo of Dave since no one at the daycare had met him and he was picking Peter up. When I gave it to the daycare lady I told her my excuse was that I was a first-time mom and that I knew that she probably already knew it all - she was very gracious and even gave me a hug when I left.

Peter fell asleep in the last couple minutes of our ride to the daycare so he was asleep for the transition and I felt guilty that he would be waking up to strange faces. I was pretty teary (not officially crying) on the way to work and then again once when a co-worker asked me how I was doing (still early - I hadn't clocked in yet). I think I did pretty well though. My mantra as I drove was, "he will be fine, everything is fine." The thing is that I really did believe he would be fine physically, and psychologically (at least in the long run). I just felt sad that we wouldn't be together for about 9 hours after never being apart for more than 4 hours, and was worried he would be upset about all the strangers.

Once I got to working things went really well. I enjoyed filing again and talking to adults. I almost forgot about all of the work drama, it got a little awkward at times, but I'm still glad to be back. It sounds like I get to do inventory now. Unfortunately I don't think I get to go back to pharmacy (at least not now) but I have to admit that I'm excited to not be solely on the sales floor. I was pretty antsy to get going the last 30 minutes and of course the HR lady started talking to me right about when I wanted to sign out for the day but I still got home in time to feed Peter.

I think his day may have been semi-rough even though no one's said anything about it. The skin around his eye was a little pink and he seemed really tired when I got home. The daycare lady also suggested to Dave that we send a blanket with, not for warmth, but because it would smell like home. Her house has a distinct smell of dryer sheets so I'm wondering if that would over-power the home smell but it's worth a try. Peter only drank about 13-14 ounces and seems pretty hungry tonight. I sent almost 20 ounces with him so it's a shame to throw the extra out, but it's thawed and unusable.

Dave's sick and Peter and I are recovering. Dave is planning to call in sick tomorrow if he doesn't feel any better, he's already in bed and it's only 8pm. If he stays home I can shovel the roof and get a bunch of laundry done... not that I want him to be sick. Hopefully Peter starts to eat and sleep better at daycare. the end :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad your first day went fairly well, considering! :) A couple things that worked for us:
    Bring a couple extra bags of frozen milk and ask them to keep them in their freezer as extras, in case they need more on any given day. James never eats more than 16 oz (usually only about 12-14, tops), but it's nice to know they have the frozen bags just in case, and that way you don't have to waste milk by having it thawed.
    I agree about the blanket; it's nice for them to have something that smells of home (and you); it will make a difference. :)
    It will get easier - there is so much stuff about daycare and going back to work that no one told me, but it all varies depending on the workplace and your daycare. Rely on the people at your daycare to help you out; ask them for advice and stuff - they will be spending a lot of time with Peter (even if you are only working part time), and they might have a fresh perspective combined with experience. Of course you don't have to listen to them if you don't agree. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good, my mom also suggested bringing frozen milk. I will double check with her tomorrow. It's also good to hear that James only eats about the same amount, and is older (though I suppose he's also getting other food).
    i'll have to get Dave on board with more communication since he picks Peter up.

    ReplyDelete