Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Grandma's House

Dave recently found employment at a school. He will be their music/band teacher... literally, he will teach all music. There is no choir and the kids don't get general music until 4th grade (unless their regular classroom teachers decide to integrate it). Since the new career is somewhat near my grandma's uninhibited house, we decided to move in. My parents hope to move here when they are able to retire, so Dave and I will just be keeping it occupied. What we enjoy the most about the house is that it's on a lake. It has been somewhat strange for me that we continue to live here (day in and day out) since I'm used to staying for maybe a week at most to just visit. My grandma now lives in an assisted living facility near-by and I am able to visit her.

We are farther away from most of the people (if not all of the people) we knew, but we are both employed (I just got a job as a pharmacy tech/salesperson at a drug store in town) and are living rent free for now. It will be fun getting used to living in a "smaller" town than we are both used to, and at times challenging getting used to living a bit further from civilization (we are not technically living within city limits so things like delivery and internet service are compromised). I find it very worth the small "sacrifices" we've been making, but I'm not extremely technology-minded, which seems to be the thing most affected... technology.

On a somewhat random note, but as mentioned in the previous post, we adopted my Grandma's cat - Kiki. She is a large calico in her later years of life. Lydia is interested in her but unfortunately Kiki is not the most playful cat and finds Lydia's playful nips to be very perturbing. They have made some headway in their relationship, but I don't think they will ever be best friends.

I intend to write more about life at "grandma's" and the new job, but for now I want to get back to a book I'm reading called "Fairest" by Gail Carson Levine.

No comments:

Post a Comment